IGSE graduate Noh, Se Eun published a thesis on Foreign Language Education

2017.06.27조회수 1970

Noh, Sae-eun(ELT 13th wave) oublished a thesis on Foreign Language Education.

Topic: Corpus-Based Analysis of Phrasal Verbs in High School English Textbooks

Journal: Foreign Language Education


Previous research developed lists of the most frequently used phrasal verbs in native English corpora. This study aims to discover how these high frequency phrasal verbs were presented in high school English textbooks in Korea. A high school English textbook corpus comprising 189,203 words taken from the listening scripts and reading passages of eight different textbook series was developed for the study. A corpus-based analysis of phrasal verbs revealed that each textbook series covered only 30% of most commonly used phrasal verbs in native corpora. In addition, the phrasal verbs used in the different textbook series rarely overlapped, suggesting a lack of systematic selection process. Among the recursive phrasal verbs appearing in the textbook series, high frequency phrasal verbs were more likely to be recursive and evenly distributed. A comparative analysis conducted with a referential corpus revealed that the textbooks employed fewer phrasal verbs than their comparative counterparts. In terms of meaning, 91% of high frequency phrasal verbs in the textbooks delivered their most frequent meanings while the rest 9% did not. The results of this study support the necessity of pedagogical
guidelines for phrasal verbs.

Noh, Se Eun. (2016). Corpus-based analysis of phrasal verbs in high school English textbooks. Foreign Languages Education, 23(4), 59-89.


international graduate school of english logo
International Graduate School of English, 89, Yangjae-daero 81-gil, Gangdong-gu, Seoul, Korea, 05407,
TEL : 82-2-6477-5114, Admission Contact TEL : 82-80-804-0505
Copyright International Graduate School of English (IGSE), All Rights Reserved.
카페 블로그 페이스북 유튜브